New Zealand - Working Holiday

Who can participate? Eligibility.

To be eligible for the Working Holiday New Zealand programme you need to be a citizen of one of the following countries: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA, Uruguay.

You must:

  • have a passport of one of the eligible countries listed above that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand;
  • be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old;
  • have finished at least high school;
  • have min. 2 years work experience and provide 2 work references and 2 character references (no family members or friends);
  • have experience with animals (Kiwi Cowboy/Cowgirl);
  • not bring children with you;
  • hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket*;
  • meet our health requirements - applicants who intend to stay for less than 6 months do not need to submit a medical certificate. Each applicant who intends to stay in New Zealand for more than six months is required to complete (and submit with their application) a Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate. Each applicant who intends to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months is required to complete (and submit with their application) a Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate;
  • meet character requirements (provide criminal check certificate);
  • be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being a secondary intention for your visit;
  • not have been approved a visa or permit under a working holiday scheme before.

Check additional requirements for your country

* You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.

** You need to select a doctor and/or radiologist from our approved list.

Please bring TWO passport sized photographs and your passport to your appointment to ensure your medical and X-ray report can be completed.

Not all countries have appointed panel doctors. For countries where there are no panel doctors, a registered or board certified or licensed medical practitioner or physician may conduct the medical examination. A Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate or a Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate (and associated reports) must be less than three months old at the time you lodge your application.

How to apply?

Please apply at least 3 months before the planned start date!

To participate in the programme you need to send us the following documents:

  • Filled Application Form;
  • Copy of passport;
  • 2 passport sized photos;
  • Criminal check (Global Choices can assist in obtaining a criminal check from UK);
  • Medical check (if applicable);
  • CV with picture;
  • Copy of valid health and travel insurance for the duration of the programme (insurance can be arranged through Global Choices for the fee of GBP 1.50 per day);
  • Copy of High School diploma.

Work Permits and Visa

Applicants need to apply for Working Holiday Scheme (Visa) at the New Zealand Embassy/Immigration Office in their home country. The visa application fee depends on the country. Please ask the Global Choices programme coordinator to advise you where you should apply and what is the visa application fee in your country.

Global Choices. Contact information

Global Choices, 146 Omega Works, 4 Roach Road, London E3 2GY, United Kingdom
Tel: (+ 44) 208 533 2777 (UK)
Tel.: (+1) 646 929 4656 (USA)
Fax: (+ 44) 870 330 5955

Online near you: Follow Global Choices UK on twitter Global Choices Facebook page

We are glad to be affiliated and associated with the following organisations:
Find out more about Global Choices affiliations